Residents of the following countries/provinces must submit their visa application to the indicated mission:
- GERMAN EMBASSY PRETORIA: Free State, Gauteng, Kwazulu-Natal, Limpopo, Mpumalanga, North-West, Lesotho, Swaziland
- GERMAN CONSULATE GENERAL CAPE TOWN: Eastern Cape, Northern Cape, Western Cape
OPTIONAL (please check special conditions when applying through the honorary consuls and liaison officer)
We request that you take advantage of our Online Appointment Booking System. Applications must be submitted in person and may not be submitted by courier, regular post, fax or e-mail.
The fee for a residence permit is the equivalent of 60 Euro. The fee must be paid in cash, in South African Rands upon application. For spouses of German or EU-citizens or to the parent of a German or EU-minor the visa fee is waved.
Please note that only complete applications will be accepted. In order to ensure that your application is processed without delay, please submit the following documents (in original and two copies as indicated below). Unfortunately, copies cannot be provided by the German Missions.
Original documents required for:
- Two duly completed Application forms "Application for a Residence Permit“ (please ensure that you sign the form)
- A valid passport with at least two blank pages and valid for at least another six months (please ensure that your passport is signed)
- Two recent passport photograph according to biometric specifications
check here for further details regarding biometric specifications of photos [pdf, 550.79k]
- Two Declarations of True and Complete Information in accordance with §55 Residence Act, signed and dated
Declaration §55 [pdf, 211.21k]
Original + two copies required for:
- Approval notification/acceptance letter by a German university or preparatory college (with fixed dates/duration)
- Proof of German language knowledge (if lectures being held in German language), otherwise a confirmation from the university that the lectures will be held in the English language
- Proof of accommodation (Rental agreement/Student hostel, etc.)
- Proof of health insurance valid from date of arrival and for the duration of stay in Germany (German Statutory/National or private health insurance)
Proof of financial means (minimum of Euro 659,- monthly):
Please provide one of the following:
- A blocked account* at a German bank showing a minimum amount of 7.908,- Euro ( withdrawal limit of 659,- Euro per month), please note that this amount may vary, please enquire with the German bank
- Proof of sponsorship or bursary from a German institution (DAAD, Inwent, etc) or the South African government
- A formal letter of obligation, according to paragraph §§ 66,68 of the Aliens Act, from a resident of Germany and for the duration of the applicant's stay in Germany
- Statement of income/financial circumstances of the parents as well as an assurance of their support
- An annual, renewable Bank Guaranty to the amount of 7.908,- Euro
* A blocked account can be set up from abroad (e.g., contact the 'Deutsche Bank' by email at db%27%com,db%27%student for necessary documentation and further directions on how to proceed).
Please note that each visa application is reviewed individually. Therefore, the requested documents may vary. The German Missions reserve the right to ask for additional documents. The submission of the above-mentioned documents does not guarantee the issuance of a visa. Applicants may, at any time, be asked for a personal interview. Submission of incomplete documentation or refusal to attend the mandatory visa interview will result in a refusal of your visa application. Once a visa has been issued, the purpose of the trip may not be altered.
The German Missions require approximately two to three months to process your visa application. We strongly recommend that you do not purchase an airline ticket unless the visa has been granted. We kindly ask that no status requests on the visa application be made during the first two months. We will notify the applicant on any change of status or progress of the application as soon as possible and whenever the need arises.